Happy Valentine’s Day loves! Allow me to take you back in time for this one. Do you remember LL’Cool J’s famous 1985 hit titled “I Can’t Live Without My Radio?” Today, the radio has been replaced with social media. Many of us simply can’t function without it, or at least we think we can’t. I get that some of you need it for your business and advertisements, some need it for entertainment, and some people just like to reveal intricate details of their lives and the lives of their family members. I don’t care what you use it for but you deserve a break from time to time and so do others who have to witness some of the things on your timeline.
I’m aware that everyone and their mother has written on the topic, but indulge me for less than five minutes. The dopamine hit when you see that red notification number is real. Especially after you’ve posted your latest photo displaying how great you are, and you are great! I get it. It’s your birthday today and approximately one million other people across the country will be celebrating their birthday today too. I still have yet to meet the one person who doesn’t share a birthday with someone else on earth. Anyway, consider these five habits to cultivate while you are taking a break from social media.
5. Do something that you have always wanted to do but never had the time to do, so you say. I bet if you trade some of your social media time in you could start that business, write that book, make some extra money, learn how to swim, write a rap song, paint, whatever, you get the picture. Try something new! I always wanted to dance in music videos but it never came to fruition.
- Start a blog, that’s what I did. When no one is showing interest in what you post every six minutes of your amazing day, turn it into a blog and ramble about your life. That’s exactly what I do and you’re reading it now so you must obviously be bored!
- Go to Ida B’s Table for brunch with your sibling. I went this weekend and it was amazing! The food was great, customer service was excellent, the atmosphere was dope, and it’s a black-owned business. Score! I also had the opportunity to catch up with bro. By the way, I had the spinach scramble, if you care to know.
- Practice Yoga. Yoga challenges my mind and my body. All I can think about is, “how did my body end up in this weird position?” I wasn’t aware that I could do that. I also wish that “Savasana” can take place for the entire 60 minutes. That’s my favorite pose so far.
- Reflect. Think about what you can contribute to society while you are away from social media. Can I help you with something? How can I grace you with my presence today? What do you need from me?
Readers, what do you do to pass time while breaking from social media? I like to exercise, read, and write amongst other things. What say you? Drop it in the comments! Love Moe.
This post may contain affiliate links for products purchased through Amazon. If you choose to purchase a product using these links, there is no additional cost to you; however, I may receive a small commission. Thank you for your support!